Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Louise Wise Interview

Interview with Louise Wise













1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?


In the afternoon. Kids are at school, household jobs are done. Then at night after they are in bed. I have a “normal” pharmacy job as well, so when I have spare writing time I can be very selfish about it and guard it fiercely, so there is no structure as such.


2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

In my head! I mull over possible plot ideas and suitable characters – this is where I get called a day dreamer! Sometimes I make little notes, but I’m not one for keeping a notebook with me. Then I’ll start writing on the computer.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?

When I was a girl I used to read Enid Blyton. I always thought it was wonderful to be transported to another world through words. Dean Koontz always gets me excited when I read him, and I think, I want to be able to do that.

4: Do you set yourself goals when you sit down to write such as word count?

No, I’ve a large family as well as a part-time job and it’s impossible to gage how long I can spend writing. Sometimes I do stay up into the early hours tapping away though.

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?

I published with YWO and they gave me several alternatives to choose from.

6: What drives you to chose the career of being a writer?

That’s a hard question, and I honestly don’t know! I love writing – I must do because it’s not well paid!

7: Do you own an ebook reading devise?

No. My birthday is soon though, so if hubby gets my hints I may own one soon!

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

I’ve mentioned Dean Koontz, so him and James Herbert. Anything chicklit and I’m not reading anything at the moment. I just finished a book called Spring Affair by Molly Johnson.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

Honestly? I don’t think they do the book justice. How can they when it’s all to down to the reader’s imagination and the ability of the writer? Maybe I’ll change my mind one day.

10: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

A Proper Charlie is a chicklit and will be out for Christmas. It’s a comedy romance about a women writing a story on prostitutes but becomes more involved than she sets out to be.







JOURNEY TO THE PAST…







A tale of romance and survival as three people travel from 2236 to the beginning of time.
Jennifer Daykin joins the three-man crew to explore the newly discovered planet, Eden.
All was going well until Jenny found herself deserted…

She listened for an answering shout – there was nothing. In the distance, Jenny was transfixed with horror as the space shuttle rose into the blue sky of Eden.
No... Don’t leave me here!’
Only the pounding of her heart answered her.

but not alone


The instant she hit the floor she curled into the foetal position. Finally, the bare feet walked away. A Native American warrior, had been her first thought, but it was his eyes that had alerted her he wasn’t an Indian or even human. They were completely black; black, dry orbs in a battered face.

Ordinary people with ordinary emotions, fears and insecurities.
Only this isn’t Earth, and he isn’t human.
A modern day Adam and Eve.


A Snippet of EDEN:

Jenny plodded along, stupefied. The fingers circling her nape were biting and painful, but she barely noticed. The echo of the wolves’ howling was still too strongly embedded in her mind. Part of her knew Fly was leading her to her rape, and that part of her was going to allow it to happen because the other side was lying dormant through fear and exhaustion.
The corridor was laden with dirt and grime. Animal excrement, electronic debris lay in her path, but she continued to walk where she was urged. His cabin door was open, and he nudged her towards the bed.
While she sat nervously on the edge, he heated a metal canteen over a crudely assembled grill, wired haphazardly to a small accumulator. She watched as he stirred in the same beverage that she had yesterday morning. When it was steaming, he filled a cup and gave it to her.
He sat on a chair opposite, and observed her with his usual disconcerting stare.
She stared back, confused, until her fingers began to burn from holding the cracked cup. She pressed it against her lips, and it was only then that she realised her teeth were chattering.
‘You are not going to survive,’ he said finally using one of the small computers he had taken from the shelf.
She gulped a mouthful of the liquid, and tried to disguise the unwelcome tears that pooled in her eyes. Already he thought her a weak, pathetic female and, for some strange reason, she didn’t want to give him further evidence to think any worse of her.
‘How do you stand it,’ she asked quietly, ‘the endless howling, night after night?’
‘There is a worse sound, and that is no sound at all.’
She fell silent, acknowledging this and feeling her own loneliness magnify. A lone wolf from outside, or even inside the ship, howled. She closed her eyes knowing she would never be able to forget how close she was to being eaten alive.
Th-the wolves,’ she said, shuddering, ‘what are they?’
‘Wolves?’ He looked at her in confusion when the translator offered no other information other than describing the canine creature that lived on Earth.
It’s what I call the howling creatures,’ she explained. ‘Their noise is similar to the animals back home.’
The wolves dominate over every animal here, and I regard them as the natives. To you they may seem savage, but they have shown me intelligence not normally found in animals.’

No comments:

Post a Comment